In order to meet the CSU requirements for health insurance on an SDSU study abroad program, you must purchase the appropriate insurance for your program type. Domestic or alternate insurance plans will not be accepted for participation in SDSU sponsored programs.
SDSU Exchange Program
Depending on your host country, you must purchase one of the following two policies from Ascension/HTH Worldwide Insurance. Both plans only cover you during the official dates of your school-sponsored program. For additional insurance coverage, see "Insurance for travel outside of school-sponsored program"section below.
- Purchase SDSU´s Comprehensive Education Abroad Insurance Plan
- For instructions on how to purchase the SDSU Comprehensive insurance, click HERE
- Comprehensive insurance through Ascension: $15.00/week.
- Students over 64 years of age, please contact your Education Abroad Advisor.
- Purchase SDSU´s Repatriation and Medical Evacuation Insurance Plan if you are required to purchase a host country national health insurance plan or the host institution requires you to purchase their approved insurance policy*
- For instructions on how to purchase the SDSU supplementary Repatriation and Medical Evacuation insurance, click HERE.
- Repatriation and Medical Evacuation Insurance through Ascension: $40/semester.
- *Many host countries such as Australia, Germany, France and Japan require visiting students to buy their national health insurance plan. You will be given instructions on purchasing the host country insurance upon your acceptance. IN ADDITION, it is required by CSU that all students also purchase the SDSU supplementary Repatriation and Medical Evacuation coverage. However, students should be advised that host country national insurance policies generally do not cover them outside of that country. If you are required to purchase a national insurance plan and you will travel extensively outside your host country, you are strongly encouraged to purchase the Comprehensive Education Abroad Plan.
CSU International Programs
- Purchase the necessary insurance as outlined in your CSU-IP acceptance packet.
All ISEP Programs (Exchange and Direct)
- Purchase the required ISEP insurance (further details provided upon acceptance).
- Comprehensive insurance may be included in program fee. If insurance is not included, then you must purchase SDSU Abroad Insurance Plan.
Insurance for travel outside of school-sponsored program
- Students that need travel insurance coverage beyond the date of their school-sponsored program, click here for information on other HTH Worldwide travel insurance plans.
- Please note: This coverage should be purchased before you leave the U.S.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view, download Adobe Acrobat Reader.