Study Abroad Process
This is the basic process you will complete in order to study abroad. You should apply or renew your passport as soon as possible to minimize any delay later.
- Each General Information Session is a half hour in person group advising session guiding you through the basics of going abroad
- Business majors must attend a study abroad workshop hosted by the College of Business
Conduct research on programs
- Search for a program
- Speak with a Peer Advisor in the Education Abroad Office
- Consult the Choosing a Program webpage for more on considerations and goal setting
- Read the Education Abroad Student Handbook
- You may only select one program type.
Visit the Education Abroad Office for Program Selection Advising
- Education Abroad Advisers can assist you in selecting a program, considering academic implications and discussing financial aid and scholarships
- Walk-In advising is available Monday through Thursday 10 am to 4 pm
Consult with your Academic Adviser(s)
- Review your degree audit in WebPortal for remaining graduation requirements
- Discuss coursework abroad and how it may meet major or minor requirements
Talk with your Family
- Family can offer valuable support as you progress through the adventure of studying abroad, so you should keep them informed of your ideas and plans.
- Encourage your parents to review our Parents section if they have concerns or questions.
Consider Financial Aid and Scholarships and create a budget
- Consult the Financial Aid and Scholarships sections for more information on funding your study abroad experience.
- Apply for scholarships early.
- Be sure to estimate costs and budget for your time abroad.
Complete the appropriate program application
- Each type of program has a different application. Review the Forms & Checklists section for all the necessary materials.
- Deadlines and eligibility requirements vary so look closely at the program specific page.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view, download Adobe Acrobat Reader.